- Bring your attention to the area of your heart in the center of your chest and notice any sensations there. Now imagine that in the depths of your heart, there's a softly glowing sphere of light – it can be any color you like - and imagine that with each inhalation its glow becomes a little brighter, a little warmer, a little softer, and with each exhalation it expands, filling your body and your mind with its gentle light.
- As you breathe into and out from your heart, see if you can call up a feeling of gratitude or appreciation, or just a simple feeling of peace, calm, or ease. It doesn’t have to be a strong feeling, just the hint of a feeling is fine. If you're able to do this, just stay with that feeling, letting it grow a little stronger with each new inhalation.
- Continue breathing into your heart. If you need a little more help to evoke a positive feeling, you can bring to mind the image of a person, a pet, a fond memory, or a special place, that evokes for you a feeling of peace, joy, gratitude, love, or just simple appreciation. Hold that image in mind long enough to really get in touch with the feeling. And then let the image go and stay with the feeling.
- With each inhalation, imagine that you’re entering more deeply into that feeling within your heart. If thoughts or other emotions arise, imagine they’re dissolving in the warmth of that positive feeling in your heart.
- With your next exhalation, imagine the warmth of that feeling filling your whole body... penetrating all your organs, muscles, and cells.
- With another exhalation, let it expand beyond your body to fill the room you're in.
- As you exhale again, imagine extending that feeling to all the people you know and care about, and to all the people you've ever known or ever met.
- On your next exhalation, imagine your feeling going out to everyone, everywhere, filling their hearts, their minds, their bodies with its warmth and glow.